Many men spend their days in a garage that is filled with tools and car parts. It’s smelly, dirty and doesn’t have much natural light – it’s not the best place to be! If you’re thinking about converting your garage into something more fun like a man cave, read this article for advice on how to do just that.
There are many ways you can convert your garage into a man cave. Should you renovate the whole thing or just get creative and do smaller projects to spice it up over time?
This is always an important consideration when deciding how to convert your garage. It could take a while to get it looking like you want it, so save up before you start. Some people might not want to invest too much money in their garage, so they focus on small things like putting down new flooring, adding paint, or getting a professional to build shelves.
Empty out your garage first
Empty out your garage first! You want to ensure that you have a clean space before deciding on what project you’ll tackle. If it’s really messy, then start by organizing the mess and sorting everything into piles of things like “keep” or “donate”. Once all the clutter is cleared away, you’re ready for anything!
What flooring do you need?
You should have an idea of what material is best for your garage based on how much traffic it sees and where you want to place certain things. There are many different options including:
- Concrete flooring
Keep in mind that concrete is the best option if you’re going to put a bar or other high-traffic area. You may also want to look into rubber mats.
Put up soundproof insulation
Soundproof insulation is a great way to ensure that your new man cave stays quiet when in use and doesn’t bother neighbors or family members who are trying to sleep at night. This type of material is easy enough to install and can be purchased at your local hardware store.
Keep it clean
Man caves are meant to look like a guy’s sanctuary from the outside world, but they shouldn’t also end up being an eyesore inside! Keep your man cave as clean as possible by putting some thought into where you’ll be storing things and cleaning up after yourself.
Take security into account when converting your garage. If you’re going to be using it as a room for work, then think about installing some locks on the door and maybe even adding better windows if necessary.
Lighting is an important consideration in any space! You want to create an inviting place to hang out so take time to investigate what type of lighting you need. Some options include:
- Incandescent bulb
- LED light strips
- Ceiling fan with built-in lights and remote control
Extending your natural light source using windows or skylights is also an option! If it’s too dark, then adding some more lamping might help. You can also install a dimmer switch to create the perfect mood lighting.
Lighting can make or break your garage man cave project!
Here are some simple design ideas for turning your garage into a man cave
- Add shelves on one or both walls. Maybe even paint the wall behind them in a fun color.
- You could also add some plants, like ivy or cactus types that don’t need much watering for an indoor garden effect.
- Put down new flooring (maybe even a nice, light wood) to make the man cave feel warmer and brighter.
- Put up new shelving for your car parts or tools – but don’t forget to also include space for some other things like books!
- Or you could paint the walls in bright colors that correspond with your interests (for example, if you love fishing, paint the wall a cool blue-green shade).
- Put up some posters or paintings of your favorite manly things (like sports players) on the walls.
- Add a bar and drink coasters for when you entertain guests in your garage!
- You could also put together an outdoor grill station to make it feel like a man cave outside.
- Or you could do some gardening and plant a nice selection of plants to make the garage feel more like home!
- Some people have also turned their garages into game rooms – either by putting in a pool table, darts or even poker tables so they can invite friends over for a few games with beers!
The most important thing is that you make the man cave your own! You can paint or decorate it, put pictures of your favorite pastimes on the walls and even add things like a bar for entertaining guests. The more personal touches, the better!”
We hoped you liked reading this article about how to convert a garage into a man cave.
Let us know in the comments below what you did with your garage to man cave conversion.